Post 5: Speaking in the present, cont.

 

This week we´ll continue reviewing speaking in the present. This time we´re going to go over the Present Perfect Tenses:

1. the Perfect Tense and 

2. the Present Perfect Progressive


Present Perfect Tense - English Study Page


Task 1: Watch the video to review main features of the Present Perfect. (18 minutes)


Task 2: Check the list of irregular verbs and their forms (focus on past participles)

IRREGULAR VERBS (Infinitive, Past Simple, Past Participle :-)

Task 3: Watch the video to review the use of the Present Perfect versus the Present Perfect Progressive (13 minutes)


Task 4: Watch the video to continue with the review of the Present Perfect versus the Present Perfect Progressive. (7 minutes)


Task 5: Go over the list of actiona and stative verbs to refresh your memory.

English Grammar A To Z: What is Stative Verb?


Task 6: Do the following exercises:

Exercise 1

Exercise 2

Exercise 3: Write the answers to the following questions. You´ll report them during next class:

a. What have you done today? Write a list of things you´ve done from the moment you woke up to now.

b. What have you been doing since the beginning of 2020?

c. What are two things you haven´t done in your life yet but would like to do?


Next class we will be reviewing all present tenses (Simple, Progressive, Perfect) at the same time. 


CLASS 4

I. Warm-up your English for the class answering the followingTwenty Questions: 

  1. Who inspires you? Who do you aspire to be like?
  2. Shark diving, bungee jumping, or skydiving?
  3. What's your favorite cheesy pick-up line? Have you ever used it in real life?
  4. What's your favorite Disney movie?
  5. What is the weirdest scar you have and how did you get it?
  6. Where did you and your best friend meet?
  7. Which of your accomplishments are you most proud of?
  8. What's the weirdest Wikipedia rabbit hole you've stumbled down?
  9. Tell me about the best vacation you've ever taken.
  10. What's your favorite physical attribute about yourself?
  11. Friday night—would you rather stay in or go out?
  12. Do you believe in ghosts?
  13. What piece of art (book, music, movie, etc.) most influenced the person you are today?
  14. Which would be harder for you to give up: coffee or alcohol?
  15. What's the single best piece of advice you ever received?
  16. Who's your best friend, and what do you love about him or her?
  17. What's the greatest risk you've ever taken?
  18. If you had 24 hours to do whatever you wanted in this city, what would you do?
  19. What do you like about where you work?
  20. What hobby have you always wanted to develop?

 

I. Review The Present Perfect

1. Tell me about the diagram above about the Present Perfect Tense. In what situations is the Present Perfect used?

2. On Task 1, you were asked to watch a video about the main characteristics of the Present Perfect Tense. Would you give me a report on that?

3. On Task 2, you reviewed about the differences between the Present Perfect and Present Perfect Progressive. Can you tell in what situations you would use the Present Perfect Progressi?

4. Task 5 was about the difference between action and stative verbs. Please give me 5 examples of action verbs and 5 examples of stative verbs.

5. On Task 6 you had to complete the exercises. Let´s review your answers.


III. Now that  you have reviewed and exercised the present tenses (Simple Present, Present Progressive, Present Perfect and Present Perfect Progressive) let´s practice speaking in the present:

a. Describe actions

1. Describe  how you decorate stones / take care of your plants.

2. What are you doing this year that is new in your life? 

    Look outside your window and tell me what you see.

3. What have you been doing for the last two weeks?

    What has your family been doing these last two weeks?

4. Answer the questions. Use short answers:

Are you studying English this year?

Do you get up at 10 AM?

Is Carmen living in Honduras?

Is Arturo 25 years old?

Is the maid working today?

Are you eating fish today?

Is it Independence day today?

Have you been going to Ojo de Agua with your dogs?

Does Coyi play tennis?

Do you play tennis?


IV. PRONUNCIATION of -ed in Present Perfect/Progressive sentences:

Queen

I've paid my dues
Time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face
But I've come through

We are the champions, my friends
And we'll keep on fighting 'til the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions of the world

I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls
You brought me fame and fortune and everything that goes with it
I thank you all

But it's been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise
I consider it a challenge before the whole human race
And I ain't gonna lose

We are the champions, my friends
And we'll keep on…


2. Check the pronunciation of contraction I´ve.
3. Read again stressing the contraction I´ve.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 2: Feedback on Task from Post 1

Post 3: Speaking in the present